What is a "GREEN" Home? ... Does a "GREEN" home sell better?1/25/2017
What is a "GREEN" home?
According to the U.S. Green Building Council, a green home is a home that uses less energy, water and natural resources compared to a standard home. It is more efficient, and so it creates less waste.
The concept of GREEN has been around for years, mostly in the commercial industry. However, it's picking up momentum on the residential front.
Does a "GREEN" home sell better?
There are many factors that contribute to the sale of your home. But, GREEN features, are just that. They are an added features to market your home with. Anything that you can do to set your home apart from the masses is going to do nothing, but help sell your home.
In fact, our MLS just added GREEN categories due to this new demand. For a full list of GREEN features listed in our MLS, please feel free to contact me. I'll be happy to provide this and resources to explain each feature.
Whether it's the money savings, environmental, or health benefits, GREEN homes do appeal to buyers of ALL ages and types.
What "GREEN" features should I focus on?
Put yourself in a buyer's shoes. What features would you want? Features that cut utility costs, and improve water and energy efficiencies are very popular on all fronts.
CONTINUATION FROM E-NEWSLETTER
There are several practical and GREEN home features that you can use to advertise your home. Below is a list common GREEN features, what they are, and why they're important. For a full list of GREEN features listed in our MLS, please feel free to contact me.
- Low VOC Paint According to epa.gov, VOC's are volatile organic compounds that easily become vapors or gases. Along with carbon, they contain elements such as hydrogen, oxygen, fluorine, chlorine, bromine, sulfer, or nitrogen. Some of these chemicals are found to have short & long term health effects. Most homes need a coat of fresh paint prior to selling, so why not use a low VOC paint and not only advertise the home as freshly painted throughout, but painted with environmental friendly low VOC paint.
- Programmable thermostats These are beneficial to save energy and thus money by resetting your thermostat when you are asleep or away from home. According to energy.gov, you can easily save as much as 10% a year by setting the temperature 7-10 degrees F less for 8 hours daily from its normal setting.
- Energy-star certified appliances These are another practical GREEN feature. Purchase a well rated brand as well, and you'll be able to advertise two fold! Also, turn your old appliances in to Consumers for money back and/or tax benefits!
- Enery-star Skylights are an efficient way to bring natural light and reduce the need for lighting. They add ambiance to a space as well.
- For lighting, CFL's and LED's, can save 75%-90% of electricity and last 10-20x longer than incandescent light bulbs. They also give off much less heat, helping the home stay cooler.
The list can go on and on, tankless water heaters, high efficiency furnaces, insulation, water retention systems, water smart landscaping, etc.
I hope that you found this helpful, and if you're thinking of selling, think "GREEN".